“To educate learners in a holistic manner, faithful to the catholic ethos in order to acquire knowledge, skills and values relevant to the society in order to compete effectively.”
St. Mary’s School is an International day school founded in PARKLANDS IN SEPTEMBER 1939. In 1946, the school was moved to an 85 acre site on the land of St. Austin’s Parish Muthangari, Westlands. The present building was completed in 1954. It is a Catholic school owned and managed by the Archdiocese of Nairobi and is committed to providing a spiritual, intellectual and physical education
The school runs varied curricula, which include both the International and the Local curriculum namely: International Baccalaureate (IB), International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE), Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) and Kenya Certificate of Primary Education (KCPE).
The school’s Philosophy is envisaged in the school Motto as found in the School Logo: “Bonitas, Disciplina, Scientia” (Goodness, Discipline and Knowledge). These Latin words appear in gold lettering above the school entrance and beneath the school crest on every blazer. They refer to three inspiring virtues that have created the community spirit of St. Mary’s School. They are the ideals by which pupils and students strive to stand for and, whose fruits they seek to produce in their daily lives.
The School opened its doors on the 12th of September, 1939. The Feast of the Most Holy Name of Mary, Heavenly Patron of St Mary’s, with 4 boarders and 13 day pupils.
The permanent buildings then were the main two-storied house, a low garage-like building at its side which acted as the dormitory and two other small constructions which acted as the kitchen and toilets.
Behind the main buildings were four blocks of wooden buildings which served as classrooms and Fathers’ rooms. The School was temporary in nature and the grounds were limited. It only had a field for football.